Friday, October 9, 2015

First One at the Buffet Today

I enter a favorite Chinese buffet about ten minutes after opening.
I look around with this big grin on my face with the realization that
I get to be the first one to sink into this four lane buffet, which lasted
long enough to sit down and take a few bites before a couple walked
in.



Like in high school, we had swimming for eight weeks and to
be that first one in the pool, and break that glass like surface, at least once.

I still remember it too. Not only was I the first to dive in but it was such a buzz
that I coasted down to the point where there is a sharp decline to the deep end. Eyes
shut due to the typical high chlorine and not knowing how many hundreds of
students that used this pool on a daily basis.

I found that ridge , still coasting on that high, at the mid point bottom of the pool with
the bridge of my nose. This is the second time in my life that I saw stars.

A year or so later a high school art teacher commented on my Roman nose.
Compliments and forever souvenir of that pool event.

We were learning to draw portraits and profiles. I was one of couple students
chosen for a profile demonstration. A quick and dirty method, using the light
from a slide projector.

Just a note that we had to do this ourselves, using the centuries old hand and
eye with pencil method.

So yeah, my buffet an unknown and a first waiting to happen as where the race and
anticipation of being first in the pool and its reward far greater which is still in my
memory. The buffet moment may not last in to next month but it sure made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment