Friday, October 16, 2015

Corner of Garden and Preping Last of the Stucco

Being the procrastinator that I can be.

I told myself that I need to get to the last bit of stucco that needs some caulking. 
Instead I tended to some trimming in that corner of the yard. I eventually got
to the putty but my point being, being a procrastinator can have it's side benefits.




Yes, this little corner. First thing
I notice is the variety of textures.
Those being one of my priorities,
along with the best sighting. Sun
exposure being one of them.

In the forefront is a rescued dwarf
Magnolia. Rescued from Leow's
half off rack. I've been well rewarded
with this specimen in blooms and it's
contrasting foliage.

In the background is Pampas grass.
In the years I was going to college
up in the Florida panhandle is where
this plant was prolific. This is it's
fifth year that it has produce those
puffy plumes. This can easily grow
into a monster if not attended to.
This is one of the plants that needed trimming.

The plant at the right is a Florida native and not a hundred percent sure on the ID,
but Simpson Stopper comes to mind. Well suited once established and has berries
to boot and while I was trimming it I notice that it suckers. As many years that it
has been in the ground and little water that it gets due to it being under the roof
overhangs, not an issue.

Mid left side of picture is another texture of long strap leaves of the a large variety
of Liriope 'Green Giant'.

Peeking out from the top right of the picture is a native palm? I believe it to be the
Cabbage Palm,but more likely a Chinese fan palm, which strikes it from being equally
beautiful but not a native. Saw this one and another opposite from it, grow from seed.
Nearly thirty years old, but still a toddler. The base of this palm is not even four feet tall
and knowing they can get really tall.

To the upper left we have one of many favorites of mine. The Bald Cypress with it's
fine needles, just another in a list of different textures.

In case your wondering, that caulking did get done.



No comments:

Post a Comment