Saturday, December 5, 2015

Replenished Compost Bin Last Week, Still Picking Tomatoes

This compost bin that I have and utilized last year was quite the success. I've been
rounding up oak leaves and some grass clippings in my driveway all year. My running
over these leaves with the car helps breaks them down. By the time I transfer them to
my compost bin they have that distinct loamy smell and look. I will just need to cut it
with some green clippings to balance the mix.

Last year I took the time to add some egg shells to the mix. Knowing that tomatoes
can really benefit from the added calcium. Except that the eggshells didn't break
down at all,  they looked the same as the day they were added.

I enjoyed going to the bin for some compost to add to whatever was being planted
in the ground or potted. Then to have a tomato seedling sprout up as a reminder
that it takes quite a bit of heat to rid of any seeds, in this case, Compari tomatoes
to be exact. Another reason not to put anything in you compost that you don't want
to grow. That goes both for seeds and spores, as in rust or fungus.

I'm still getting some cherry tomatoes from these volunteers plants. I hope to trim
this vine up some before it finishes up with it's last crop before our first frost.


Not even a week has gone by and the (crazy) ants have found this beautiful
composting material to their liking. They have eggs, whether they are imported
from another nest or they didn't waste anytime laying their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment