Monday, December 21, 2015

Inga edulis - Ice Cream Bean Tree

This garden circle was once the home to an exotic tree called
Inga edulis - Ice Cream Bean tree for nearly twenty years

Removing the last remains of this tree's stump.




and I would like to share some pictures, a witness to it's existence from October
of 2000.....turning back the hands of time.



The splash of color at the top right, are some spent Bougainvillea blossom.
We see the tree in it's youth.



This Ice Cream Bean tree gave the Bald Cypress some competition.
Although appearing to be healthy, there were signs of incompatibility
with Florida's growing environment.






This appears to me to be some kind of stem canker that can girdle and kill
the rest of the branch.This started showing up only after a few years
once it was established. Not a good sign and not knowing what causes
this was equally frustrating.

Sharing this photo of our Ice Cream Bean tree is a Blood (leaf) Banana
tree, in the background.





Typical leaf size and what you can't see from this picture is what I call
honey pots at the base of the leaf where it attaches to the stem. You will
find ants at this pot drinking what ever it is that tree is giving. It must be
one of those symbiotic relationships we learned about in high school
Biology.



The star and tragic point of the telling of this tree's life here in Florida comes down
to these pictures of it's flowers in bud. A sign that it has made it to what it was designed
to do, and that it to reproduce it's self. Against all odds, except for one. Me!



 You might ask how was it that I was able to capture these pictures of it's flowers.
There were the only two sets of flowers on the whole tree. The branch these were
on, were reaching way over into the neighbors yard, seeking out the sun's rays, no
doubt. Not seeing these flowers at the time when I decided to cut down this branch
so as not to let it get too much out of control. To my dismay is when I discovered 
what I had done. I think I may still have these dried flower buds.


The last struggle of growth occurred sometime early this year. Before I started this
blog, otherwise I think I would have had a picture had I started this documentation
via this blog.  I even remember a couple of times thinking that I should try to get a
cutting of this tree and raising it as a potted plant.

In spite of it's unfortunate demise, it has brought me great pleasure and beauty.

One of my life's mantra's which is, seeking beauty in all it's forms.






No comments:

Post a Comment