Saturday, July 4, 2015

Yoga Back to Back and Oh My Back

At the end of Tuesday night Yoga I felt my lower back begin to spasm. You know
that all to familiar sensation that the muscles in your lower back are getting ready
to rise up in rebellion and scream HELLO!. Perhaps my hips heard my intention
that I was relaying to yoga instructor that I might make it back Thursday evening
to see if I can do the class right after my Yoga Barre class. Mind you that the Yoga
Barre class efforts are in opening the hips and lengthening the hamstrings. Most
times it takes a day and a half to recover from the Barre classes.

  Well this time they just whispered, to let me know that yes your making progress
in strengthening your core , but you forgot a spot. So the next day Wednesday evening
walking buddy was a no show I so took the opportunity to walk up the Public Library to
return a book and proceed walk back to the lake and carry on around the lake. This
modified route nearly doubles the distance. So the next day the hips and lower back
are talking to me and I had my Yoga intention to do my back to back Yoga class the
following day.

 Time to break out the hot showers on the lower back and an excuse to guzzle a quart
of Tart Cherry juice (anti inflammatory). Lots of bed rest and determined to attend
my Yoga Barre. I even used my new free standing Ballet bar from ordered on-line,
to see if I can reach my leg to my typical height, no problem.
  Hot water to the lower back and out the door to class. Went well and I was going
to give the Yoga instructor a heads up to my limitation, but she was running late.
So I just respected my body.

What is funny is near the end of practice we were
at the point where our leg was perpendicular to the bar at ninety degrees and ready
to grab the extended leg with opposite hand. I was ready to reach to get my strap and
the instructor saw my need for modification but was not aware of my circumstances.
I even suggested to my partner whose limitations call for a strap. Teacher, called my
name and says, use your hand. I throw down the strap as in being busted with a smirk
and low and behold, grab my shin instead and tighten that core and was pleased with
myself. Knowing that my left leg is my more flexible side. I just made modifcations
to the other side and class is finished with legs up the bar.

I have forty minutes to get to my next Yoga class, but do I go home and soak my
lower back under the hot shower? Not that it was soar. Skip the shower and don't
rush and head on out to class.

Teacher was there and she was able to give me some pointers on the possible muscles
that were giving my grief and some release , pressure points. This class was similar
to Tuesday's class but we had a good contention of men in this class. So I declared it
to be Guys' Night. Class went well and was not limited or hindered by my previous
class nor by my achy hips and lower back.

Sometimes its just getting past our mindset while still respecting our bodies too.

Spent Friday running errands and stopped in at Panera Bread to visit some friends and
my back just felt a bit tender but that was it.

Saturday, on the mend and very please that it wasn't worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment