Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Today is the day to ween the Cocao Tree - Go see Plan B

  My Cocao tree has gained two new leaves and lost (cut) three. Misting when ever
I pass this plant and near 24/7 lighting with full spectrum light. High maintenance
don't you think?

One pampered plant.

  I spent good part of this day looking for a commercial potting medium that pasts
my muster. I have such a aversion to Perlite just because it is white and I believe
has a tendency to turn brown if at the surface of the soil line and did I mention
that it is white. Note in picture above the high percentage of Perlite, ideal for
greenhouse growing conditions but not what I'm looking to duplicate.

  So I found a potting soil with no chemical fertilizers and a coarse sand from
some exotic local for my Perlite substitute. I also have some left over Charcoal
chunks that will aid in making this mix light and drain well.

  I'm going to try the man made latest convenience, water retaining gel crystals.
My intention for using these crystals is meet its need for a constant source for
water without it being too wet.  What's a little gamble when one is trying
something new, be it plant and material?

  I'm trying to meet every need that this plant requires short of moving with in
twenty degrees of the Equator. After all there is only so much one can do for
their passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment