Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Ionopsis utricularioides - Major Update1

Treating this orchid like my Cacao Tree brings it's rewards.

As I was misting it this afternoon with a diluted orchid fertilizer and making
certain that I covered this specimen from leaf tip to root tip, indoors under the
light of a couple LED light bulbs. The orchids could use a bit more lumens,
but the Cacao Tree thrives under this low light as you can see from the new
salmon colored leaf sprouting, lower right in the picture below.


The same treatment that I give me Cacao Tree. These three orchid and one native
Tillandsia specimens have been enjoying the same toasty heat that I enjoy. That
reminds me of a book that was published in the seventies, Plants Are Like People
by Jerry Baker, speaks volumes.

I noticed a tiny tight what appeared to be a new orchid sprout. Not knowing much
about this orchid's culture other than it's northern limits are the southern tip of Florida.
Along with some generated heat, a spritz of added nutrient rainwater and an occasional
dose of real sunshine, even if it is only for a couple of hours, like today.

Not until I brought the orchids outdoors in our late fall sunshine and as my weather app
reminds me at this time of the year, low UV. I notice that there are two new orchid growths.I don't think that it is too much to ask for the remaining two plants to sport some Keiki. A new term,
in relations to orchids that describe an orchid's new sprout that can eventually grow into an
independent orchid.


Two orchid sprouting next generation of orchids as indicated above.

No comments:

Post a Comment