Saturday, November 7, 2015

Red Ribbon Half Marathon - Farmers Market Downtown

I knew that it was going to be a challenge this morning, not only finding a parking
space but to navigate around the numerous barricades, due to this mornings foot
races.

The navigating reminds me of the time while in the service and a buddy of mine
and myself entered a road rally. By buddy drove his Datsun 2+2, very much like
this one.

This one is more likely the 2+2 with the extended rear.


I was the navigator and we placed something like eleventh out of thirty five entrants.

So instead of being frustrated, I took the challenge and joined the rest of the morning's
commuters that are challenged too. There hasn't been street near downtown that I haven't
already seen either by day or night.
















You could hear the cheers as some of the runners cross the finish line across the lake. Along
with the sounds of the freight train running through the downtown, makes this downtown
still that viable collection of community that has so often been longed for and at times is
still the exception.


Although tree lined as you can see, the heat was beginning to build and it is not even nine thriry
in the morning. I purchased my still novelty serving of small batch Gingered Kumbacha.

Typical temperatures, but I was feeling for the runners every time the sun peeked
out of the clouds. There were half marathoners, 5K and children's run. Something
for everyone, just not me. I'll stick to my bicycle and evening hour walks around
our neighborhood lake.

When's the last time you seen a gaggle or a mob of Statue of Liberties? I had
to ask who might be the real Statue of Liberty. The one who is smiling and wearing
the unauthorized pair of eyeglasses raised her hand. As for the dude, well so much
for authenticity and it's not even tax time yet.


See below for map of run.



This course covers pretty much all
the diversity as in varied elevations
that this city has.

Bravo to those that dared.

No comments:

Post a Comment