Friday, April 22, 2016

So What's Buggin Me

It starts out a couple of days ago. I'm at my potted Tomato plants for
their scheduled, twice a day watering, most days. The last year's four
original tomato plants are on their third crop and looking ragged from
it. Producing a several pints of bite size cherry tomatoes and being
exposed the Florida elements take their toll.


I did take more cuttings even if it will be a close call on getting them
up and running before the sun gets really hot.


I managed to collect nearly a gallon of green tomatoes from this
now decapitated specimen lying horizontally across the back trunk
of my car. What do I find? You think this was an open diner for
our, never fails and first of the worst Florida bugs this year. The
Manduca quinquemaculata, also known as the Tomato Hornworm.


The first sign that something was a miss and dead giveaway.  Hey what
happened to the leaves?




I didn't have to look very far, in spite of their green attire. Not to suggest
that it was camouflage and perhaps this was a covert operation. It has no
qualms eating the brown dried bits either.



Plenty enough greens to go around. there were actually four to be
found. The most I've ever seen let alone on a collection of potted
Tomato plants.



This guy hasn't stopped chewing away, not realizing this could be it's
last mouthful of a free lunch. This guy is really big not to have been
seen before. Note it's red horned tail, hence the name.


I did pick them off with the hopes of leaving them for the birds to feast
on, by scattering them about on some concrete slab open to back yard.

                                                      Look at these posers.







A green jewel of a dump to be remember by to, real class that one.

About a half hour later I did hear a chorus of song birds, not sure if it
was a cat alert or a bug alert.

If it doesn't rain this afternoon I will have to do a quick glance over what
plants I have left to see if there are any more of these green monsters.

The last catch from this batch of Tomato plants.






No comments:

Post a Comment