Sunday, April 10, 2016

Add The Chaotey Squash To The Kitchen Windowsill Garden

I had bought this Chaotey Squash at our farmers market, my
favorite vendor to be exact. I bought it more so out of curiosity
than any. I placed this on my kitchen counter to admire it's form,
unlike I've ever seen. Also with the idea that I could either eat it
now or let set a while to ripen. Also knowing how the only squash
that I have enjoyed which, is the Spaghetti squash which happens
to have quite the shelf life. Thinking that this Chaotey may have
similar longevity. It seems to have been days since I last looked,
let alone thought of this squash. After all it is a mere inches away
from my toaster, which I use every day. Well to my surprise and
that ever reoccurring sense of wonder and thank goodness a
curiosity. What do I see?

Sechium edule - Vegetable Pear

For those who have never seen a Chaotey squash. This is what one looks
like. If that is not enough wonder then to see that is it sprouting, that's
two wonders in one.  I moved this to my kitchen window to give this
sprout the light that it seeks. The next day or two will determine it's fate.
Whether to play surgeon to separate these two and salvage both, one
for eating and the other for planting. Thus satisfying my two curiosities
of being a Foodie and a Gardener.


So not only do we have the typical Carrot sprouting, Avocado pit growing
and who hasn't sprouted a Sweet Potato vine, only to cascade everywhere
and anywhere.  We can now perhaps add the Chaotey squash as another
to this windowsill collection too.

No comments:

Post a Comment