Saturday, July 30, 2022

Today Was My Lucky Day

      Went out to check on my umm tree, not saying what it is. I don't want the squirrels to find out.

To my dismay, but not shocked to find said fruit gone. I still had hopes of finding it on the ground

close by. Had a squirrel find it, it may not know what to do with other than to sample it, perhaps.

Not knowing that we humans love these roasted and with a dash of salt.

 

     Exhibit  ' A ' and no banana for scale.

Inspired by my monumental find, I thought that I would set out and go on a mid Summer

fruit and nut expedition.

     Starting at the center and spiraling counter clockwise of said collection, we have the conspicuous

red and black caped seed known as Abrus precatorius or Rosary Pea.  The next colorful pale purple 

fruit is from the Callicarpa americana or American Beautyberry. The pea sized pearly white fruit is 

from the Pseudorhipsalis ramulosa or  Red Rhipsalis Mistletoe Cactus. The one still attached to a branch

is a sacrificial acorn that is from a hybrid Live oak tree, genus Quercus.

Top and center is the fruit from our Podocarpus macrophyllus or Buddhist Pine.  The mammoth of 

bunch, is a cone from the Bald Cypress tree, aka Taxodium distichum. Not to be mistaken as a Pond

Bald Cypress,which like to the standard Bald Cypress tree does not need a pond to grow in.

   Up this point, the mysterious smooth shelled fruit belongs to the genus, pretty sure that it is the

Macadamia integrifolia, smooth shelled....drum roll....psst, it's been revealed in the binomial linius 

nomenclature and it's origins are from Australia and not from Hawaii as the Mauna Loa nut company

might want you to believe...and now for the reveal...


                                                               it was lost and now it's found

I have no doubt that this year's rainfall is above average. So far this far into the year and all my rain 

barrels are topped out and manually filled to by yours truly.  Did I mentioned That I have nine,

fifty-five gallon, food grade drum drum drum drum druuuuuuuuuuuuums.






 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment