Saturday, February 17, 2018

Volunteer Bald Cypress Seedlings


These two Bald Cypress seedlings are not only robust looking but a rare
event. In the twenty plus years and nine trees that I've planted. I've only
witnessed sprouted seedlings three times and all three times they were in
pots. Of all the hundreds of cones that these trees will have produced per
season. I must suspect that the ones that wound up in a pot more than likely
were buried there by a squirrel, which may explain the rare occurrence and
conditions required for them to germinate. Along with the fact that a potted
enviroment would get the attention of a regular watering, which is more
likely the reason for the sprouts success.

In the past I had collected seeds from a Pond Bald Cypress and had no
problem to getting it to grow into one of those nine cypress trees that
grow on my parcel sized property.

Sightings of these guys are rarer than one our once prolific green Anole.
Speaking of which, I had sighted a green Anole from the distance of my
bedroom window. Can't say that the green Anole is making a come back
just that my yard might be a bit more friendlier than others, at least I
would like to think.

What a difference a day makes in the life of seedling. The one on the right
was the healthiest one in the lot and now it looks like it got a touch of fungus
on it's superficial needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment