Thursday, February 15, 2018

First Bloom On Macadamia Nut Tree - Update

It's been a week today since I first discovered that my Macadamia nut tree,
in it's fifth year in my care, has it's first bloom. Due to the scarcity of blooms
this year. I am most certain that this is it's actual inaugural blooming stage.

As mentioned in my previous post to determine if the blossom has a fragrance.
I checked on this three times through out the day. Once in the morning, when
typically most flowers fragrance are at their optimum.Was not disappointed
when my nose was greeted with a heavy honey like smell. Mid afternoon,
not as pronounced. Then early evening, not much difference in smell from
the mid-afternoon's.

It was at this time in the early evening to use a small paint brush to
help with the pollination of this one and only spray of flowers. I also noticed
some pollen grains on the adjoining leaf, which us how I made my decision
to perform with and assist to nature.

This will be my second time where I used this method of insurance, if
you will. First specimen was last year's Spaghetti squash.


Most if not all blossoms are open for business. I saw yesterday several
bees (yellow jackets) in the back yard hovering around my white powder
brush bush in the back yard. Had there been more of these Macadamia nut
blossoms. There is no doubt in my mind word would of gotten out fast and
broad that there's a newbie (blossom) on the block and bee-lined it to this
new exotic buffet.

I will check on them tomorrow morning and give it one more touch with
my painter's brush, for good luck.

What a great day to be a garden enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment