Wednesday, February 14, 2018

First Bloom On Macadamia Nut Tree - Whoo-hoo! Either Macadamia integrifolia or Macadamia tetraphylla

Something that never gets old is having a first bloom that accompanies a long
awaited anticipation and patience. This first bloom comes with a five year wait.
The only known was that this nursery specimen's parent was twenty feet tall and
full of  nuts. Variety unknown but productive. That was enough for me to take
on the challenge that living in Florida allows.

Six days ago I thought that I should trim up and open up the canopy with some
selective pruning. To my amazement and staring at me at eye level was a rather
stunted double spray of white blossoms. So I looked for some more and then
to find this single robust spray of white blossoms.

Needless to say that I sacrificed the first set of blossoms by trimming it
off after I spotted the second set of blossoms.

Five days later another picture to show this set of blossoms just beginning
to open.

I hope to capture it's noted fragrance tomorrow morning before heading
off to a morning yoga class. Stay tuned!

Not a heavy feeder by any means, so I thought I would give it a top
dressing of compost and an infusion of some kelp emulsion.

 Either Macadamia integrifolia (smooth shelled) or Macadamia tetraphylla
(rough shelled), won't know which is which until this develops some nuts,
should I be so lucky. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment