Sunday, March 13, 2016

Our City's Late Winter Spring Obsession Plant Sale = Liatris spicata - Blazing Star

Every year around this time our city's annual Spring Obsession
plant sale never fails to impress. Years past, it has been hard
for the city to collect enough vendors to hawk their plant wares,
due to other competing plant shows throughout central Florida.
Even though it may not be Spring yet, but central Florida's weather
rarely followed the what's on the calendar.

Take my Amyrillis plants, which flower by the time of St. Patrick's
day and a late dear neighbor's birthday. This year may be an exception,
but then anything could happen in the short time frame between now and
then. When Spring's mighty burst of renewal takes hold , there is no holding
back this mighty force of nature.

In spite of an insipid collection of plants one has to satisfy one's
obsession, right?  From a plant collector's perspective, if you look
hard and long enough, one can always find a gem of a plant among
the paste. Our diligence never fails to bring to the forefront something
new that catches the eye and my wallet.













 Two things caught my attention about this plant. First and
foremost, which I was not totally in control. The volunteer
whom recognized me from past purchases of Florida native
plants and snagged me from the early morning crowds like
a fish. The bait being an appeal to my vanity perhaps as being
recognized but also drawn to simplicity that native plants have
that can contribute to our landscape. The second, being that
this plant's beginnings appear to have a grassy stage which
caught my eye in the meager collection that these hardworking
volunteers managed to present to the city's presentation.

The first plant is a (Florida) eastern North American native,
I hope. Having done my internet skimming on said plant to
verify my nagging suspect to confirm that this is not an
invasive species, which shares a common name of Gayfeather.

The Liatris spicata - Blazing Star, a lavender colored flower,
also in keeping with my wanting to collect cool hued flowers.
Who needs hot hues when you have hot weather. Save those
for a specimen planting, in order to spot light their hot blazing
contrast to the other plantings.

No comments:

Post a Comment