Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Another Gift From Irma - Pencil Cactus - Euphorbia tirucalli

 I've been coveting this specimen suspecting that this eight foot specimen was
no match for Irma's fury. My heart sunk having not seen it in it's original spot
while on a drive by on my way to the market, thinking I was too late to get a
sample. Only to scan the curbside and to my surprise and delight to have spotted
this evergreen survivor amongst the brown and twisted remnants of nature's way
of trimming out the weak and challenging those that stand strong.
I was planning my way of rescuing some samples and adding them to my shopping
list.

Cutting end had dried long before I had acquired this so putting in the ground
soon after was not an issue. Cloudy weather all this week precludes me having
to place a shade cloth over it.

This one I will have to keep an eye out due to it being close to a downpour
of water off the roof. Being that our so called soil is mostly sand it may
not be an issue. Time will tell as the old adage goes.

Care in handling this specimen that weeps white sap will and can issues
with skin if sensitive and care not to get any in your eyes. A good washing
of hands is definitely called for.



 Nearly a week later and getting a blast of the western Autumn sun. They fit right
in with the rest.

To our left, Macadamia nut, Pencil, Taiwanese Ornamental Cherry, Pencil
and next to the newest addition to this menagerie is a Cinnamon Tree,still braced
from the likes of Irma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment