Monday, June 19, 2017

Yellow Trumpet Vine (Macfadyena unguis-cati) And If I Had My Way...

Look at it, see if your not taken under it's spell.

I spotted this specimen and unknowingly rescued it from a neighbor's yard
while visiting with said neighbor. The next day the neighbor's yard mowing
came and would have scalped this, what is known down here to some in the
know as an invasive weed. Who's name is now known due to the our greatest
invention, the internet.

As most gardener's know that every plant has a place and sometimes a plant
just needs to be put in it's place.

I won't tell you it's other common name, because sometimes a common name
can lack imagination. So, I'm not going to perpetuate this mistaken identity
and summon my own.

But first lets get a closer to what's apparent to be it's prominent feature.


Look at those, claws? feet? perhaps, talons to be more exact.

These tendrils assist in it's survival and some would say domination of it's
environment if left on it's own to thrive and conquer. Except this Constant
Florida Gardener does not know the meaning of leaving a new acquisition
alone. Why, I just thought of another title for a Blog. The Helicopter Gardener
Observer.

My natural curiosity and fascination reigns far longer than most
and due to my limited parcel I call home.  I would be very surprise that any
plant being could just take over. Now having said that, I could imagine that
what ever forces take over, you name them, they certainly exist. Every
community has one of these where the yard has taken over and over grown
and most likely the house has gone through a similar stage, but only worse.
I know of at least two addresses in close proximity in this community or
of over 200,000 residences where this is the case.

Well, a plant not only has to be subjected to our, some might say shallow,
societal conformities, beauty being one of them that we hope adds a substantial
quality to our life. No doubt, gardening is but one of many pursuits that does
just that for me.

So lets hear that drum roll.

I propose we call this gem, 'Dragon Wings'.

 OK, scroll back and take another gander of that close up and imagine if you
will a mirrored surface just short of touch down or more like a snatch and grab
for this gangly serpent's next meal.

Why just the size of those talons, tells me that that's going to be a big specimen.




No comments:

Post a Comment