Saturday, June 17, 2017

This Week's Lily Collection

Neomarica gracilis, Apostle's Iris














Even a Biblical sounding common name can't dress up,
what I would describe, as a weedy looking flower.
Where the beauty lies is in this specimen's architecture
and means of spreading (not shown), is the primary reason
it still resides in my garden.

Iris domestica,  Leopard Lily











This was first flower to catch my eye and seems to
have arrived shortly after epic commencement of our
rainy season.

Perhaps this Leopard lily will be my newly designated
rain lily.

I actually have two kinds of rain lilies. One
batch had just wrapped up their blooming. Who's
predictability and frequency prevents me from capturing
it's beauty here for prosperity. Where as my other double
rain lily blooms most infrequently, for when it does grace
us with it's blooms, it's a major event and I can well insure
that it will be captured here for prosperity.

Crinum 'Ellen Basanquet', Red Crinum Lily












This old reliable flowering specimen is going to get thinned
out tomorrow. It's dramatic train of foliage (not shown), is
due to lack of valuable sunshine, thus cutting back on the
number of blooms, which in this case has inspired me to
corral this plant in and make use of the coveted real estate.
It's worth mentioning that most Crinums are surprisingly
fragrant.

A day late and this is what you get when you miss a deadline.

I would like to think that this Crinum could date back to it's origins, but then
this house sat vacant for twelve years before it's first owner walked through
it's doors.

I believe this plant goes back to the nineteen seventies. Only based on the
fact that the home owner back then was quite the gardener to and have
some photos that were given to by the wife of said owner and not knowing
this at the time when I bought this house in the nineties.  






No comments:

Post a Comment