Sunday, June 5, 2016

Late Spring Compost Recipe

I already had some per-composted Bald Cypress needles that I had scraped
off the carport roof earlier this year. That was my requisite brown (black)
Good thing I still have my debris shovel I had kept from my garage demolition
days. Comes in handy to shovel up this Cypress material.

 The rich footprint where the cypress material left it's mark.














 My Sleeping Hibiscus needed a good trim which provided the other
half of the mix, providing the green (leaves only). Husking corn comes to mind
as I was stripping off the leaves from their stems.



The contributing green source material. There are just two red blooms that
were revealed after the trimming.


I managed to scrape up a small pail of last's year's compost. This provides
the Starter culture for this mix to get off to great start. Not much different
from a Sourdough starter culture for making bread. It wasn't until after I
scraped this together I only realized that there might have been little left
of the compost but what I did scraped together regardless will provide
the needed beginnings of bacteria and other micro biological things that
will get to feast on these gathered nature's offerings.

Not to mention a dozen or so earthworms that were already working away
in the Bald Cypress material.

Chopped up the green material with a machete to some degree. A good
salad tossing to mix everything and a bucket of collected rain water to
bless this union of natural materials and adding the needed moisture to
hasten the breaking down this mass of carbon.

This will be my third year in creating a compost, which comes has come in handy
many times knowing that I have this resource.

This is only filled this composting bin about half full that will get some more over the next
couple of months. With the occasional turning and tossing this material and  the challenge
of scrounging up the needed brown material to balance the abundance of green material.

No comments:

Post a Comment