Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Florida State Fair

I make a point to get to the Florida State Fair every year. This year was no exception.
All these years that I have been visiting the state fair I always look forward to seeing
the same exhibits. Except this year there was a dramatic change in venue. The plant
sale that is hosted by the various plant societies was no longer part of the fair. Not
only was the plant sale not there but the host of plant experts with the varying
societies were absent, which I always look forward to talking to.

In spite of that, I still enjoyed the fair and it's offerings. A stroll through the mid-way
while eating some Soba noodles and veggies with chicken. This mid-way looks no
different that any mid-way USA except the for the palm trees.


Purchased a couple of hand made items from Cracker Country, an outdoor exhibit with crafters
and demonstrators, which has been my most favorite. Live Bluegrass music and a Florida demonstration garden all outdoors under a canopy of some grandfather Live Oaks.
A welcome change and compliment to the usual fair. For a moment you could close your
eyes and imagine yourself transported back to Old Florida.

I went back for day two primarily to use my prepurchaced discount ticket and get the name
of this non-toxic saddle soap that one of demonstrators was using to make a whip, a Cracker's
whip to be precise.  Also to check out the Soba noodles that I had read about, and was not disappointed. Along the way I came across this entertaining 'robot'. You can see how tall it
is and still wondering how it was animated. It's master/animator or puppeteer was never
more than ten feet away.






















Extremes all around, from food to exhibits, along with the educational. The crowds of people
of all ages and ethnicity and something for everyone. Along with lots of walking at a leisurely
pace, something I'm not used to doing, it's always a fast pace and get that heart rate up kind of
walk. Along with the challenge of finding something relatively healthy to eat and a bonus if
it is something that I haven't had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment