Friday, June 26, 2015

Texas Ebony - Ebenopsis ebano


Harvested seeds a month ago from our public library and just now getting around
to germinating said seeds. I chose to use a Dremel to break the hard shelled surface
by a sixteenth of an inch in hopes to speed up the germinating process.

I harvested last and current season of seeds and chose the last years seeds to
germinate. This tree will be an evergreen dense, small foliage and relatively
small specimen of a tree with fragrant cream colored blossoms. I hope will
add years of fascination to this Florida landscape.

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself. There shape and growth lend themselves
to Bonsai culture which will be my basis and inspiration for it's pruning regime.

I learned the process of scarifying the seed surface from my father when he used
the process to germinate some northern Locust tree seeds. The Black Locust tree
is in the same family of trees, I believe as the Ebony tree.


Nearly three hours later and an increase in size and one note worthy seed that
had some of the seed coat already chipped away and cracked. Also a clearer
picture of the notches that were dremeled.






Received my ballet bar today via Amazon to facilitate my Yoga Barre class that I'm taking.


Wrapped up first season of AMC Halt and Catch Fire tv series.

No comments:

Post a Comment