Friday, July 13, 2018

Big Toad - I Suspect Bufo marinus

Aka Giant toad and this one still has some growing to do before
earning that title, also known to be toxic to small pets.

This one is small in comparison to others I've seen. This one is
the first I've seen in daylight, as seen between some iron gratings.

It's hard to tell from this angle but it is at least five inches in length.
Also the puffy lumps set back from the eyes and lie on the upper
back distinguish to be one of fifty species of toad that has this
toxic storing gland that will ooze when it is threatened.

If you look closely at the areas outlined in orange you can see the
small black spots, which are it's pores that this white toxic fluid
is excreted.

I saw one of these in the early morning hours when it was still dark
and it was four to five times larger. The size through me off initially
but the way if moved was what gave it way as being a toad.

No comments:

Post a Comment