Friday, January 19, 2018

Taking A Pause With Winter Flower Survey With A Paver Design Update


Coming along nicely. Added three more pavers and another concrete pad.
Those concrete pads can be back breaker if not careful. Still have to do
some leveling on the last install.

Here is the original design, where the scale might be off a bit but it gets
the idea across.
 
This paver design is not without sacrifice. There was a vine that I transferred
to a pot with hopes to save it for transplanting. A cypress knee was not that
lucky.

A couple of weeks ago on my way to Tampa I spied a Bonsai business that
had some of there work outside on display. Enough to make we want to stop
on the way back, which I did and was not disappointed. He had several
Bald Cypress trees that he had worked on among other specimens.Who better
to ask regarding Bald Cyress knees and whether they could be dug up, separated
from it's parent tree and survive on it's own. He didn't think so, then proceede
to show me one bonsai Bald Cyress tree where he had grafted a Cypress knee to it.

So after this past summer's Bald Cyress knee experiment, where once again I
found myself in a similar predicament. I was having a new porch installed and
I had a bush that needed moving, and it dosen't transplant well, and yet it was a
success. Then there was this Bald Cyress knee that was too close to the site were
the new porch was to be formed and poured. Too many unknowns and  no
guarantees. So, to expand my hopes and dreams of achieving the next to imposible.
I decided to experiment with this exhumed Bald Cyress knee and place it in a
container sunmerged in some rain water. Placing an air hose connected to an
aquarium pump to keep the water circulating, thus preventing mosquitoes
from breeding. Imagined a combination day spa and life support.

Fast forward five months and thirty-five Polywogs added to this Bald Cyress knee
sanctuary. At least there were these Polywogs that were thriving. It wasn't the last
Polywog had transformed to a frog and left it's watery world is when I had to
pull the plug on this futile experiment.

It's not to say I won't try again, who knows. I might get lucky and do
some digging on the internet.




No comments:

Post a Comment