Friday, March 8, 2019

Long Time No See - Loquat - Eriobotrya japonica


First time fruiting for me since I last heavily pruned this specimen.

I take full responsibility, what with my form over function sensibilities when it comes to
gardening. Not only are these well within reach of this human and not have grab a ladder
to get these delicious morsels. Generally the birds just stab these once and for what ever
reasons, go on their marry way.

Started this from seed and knowingly knew that the chances of what was to produce will
be just as good or better or even the possibility of it being worse. That's the odds when
ever your start something from seed. I this case they came out better than the original, in
that they are bigger.

There's a reason these aren't found on your grocer's shelf. Their window of ripeness is
short and they don't last long once they are picked.

A welcomed edition to my edible sustainable urban forest.

Loquat  - Eriobotrya japonica

I will have to make regular visits on these low hanging fruit. Not that I mind sharing with
the birds and squirrels. It's time they share the first batch in years.

These taste as good as they look.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment