Saturday, September 29, 2018

Ionopsis utricularioides - Early Birthday Gift

Early bird gets the orchid. Our city garden sponsored another orchid
sale. This is the second one of two and it's my first time.

I found one that appealed to my senses. Didn't know until I did some
online research that it's a Florida native, whose listed as a threatened
species, short lived and is from south Florida. Nothing like some
challenges for motivation to succeed with this variety of orchid.
It's already set to bloom, so for me to succeed will be to get it
to bloom again next season and hopefully divide it into two. This
would be success in my book.

This specimen already has at least three spikes that will bloom in a
matter of weeks. Two stalks were obvious and it wasn't until I
photographed it was when the third stalk was spotted.

I've had a mini Vanda
orchid driving in this
tree going on three
years now. I figure
that this addition will
do just as well. Will
have to keep an eye
on it insure it's
success.

No comments:

Post a Comment