Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Yesterday, First Fig OF The Season - Ficus carica 'Brown Turkey'














I don't know why this variety has been picked to be
most suitable for this area. I know that this specimen
needs better conditions than I could ever provide.

The only reason this specimen is even in existence is
because this remnant of the original that had been
growing in my grandma's garden.

I shall leave it for the birds to feast on while I tend
to my recent cuttings of an unknown variety of
fig that is as I type, loaded down with fruit.

Two of the three fig cuttings have their characteristic fig leaf saluting the
afternoon sun with their first leaf.

I did a drive by this past Saturday to see if said fruit are ripening at this
now vacant commercial property. The fruit as best as I can assess is still
as green as it's leaves.

This specimen's trunk is at least eight inches and it's base is close to the
building's foundation. A foundation that goes back to the nineteen twenties
and whose base is no doubt extruding lime into the soil which helps figs
thrive. That and a ground cover of stones which I'm sure helps with keeping
that PH low. That and plenty of sunshine.

So, what can I do to insure that these cuttings and my existing fig tree get
similar conditions, you might ask? Trial and error, that's that game we
constant gardeners play. I can start by adding some lime to my potted
fig and move it to some spots in the yard that get more sun. This sun
chasing will have to abide by the seasons, of course.

Let the games begin.




No comments:

Post a Comment