Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Jack At 54


 Fifty four weeks old that is. From a wee seed, one of three and this one had the

luck of being in the best spot in the yard.

 

I only know of two similar trees in our fair Florida city. The first tree was discovered

while with a fellow yogi friend and driving to her house she ends up taking a back road. 

Having been down this road several times on my own but being the driver and rarely the 

rider gave this constant gardener and opportunity to scan for unique plant specimens and

low and behold. Not only did the striking foliage stand out but this tree had several fruits

in the different stages of growth. This area I was at was what I would refer to as being 

at the edge our city and there for possibly more subjected to a few degree temperatures

lower than my location would be subjected to.


Needless to say I spoke up and asked to turn left to confirm my finding my first live,

in the wild, mighty fruitful Jackfruit tree. This specimen was not even twenty foot tall,

which was quite encouraging. Only a few years later that I discovered a local public 

garden had a JF tree that was easily thirty-five feet tall and with a massive trunk to

match, but no fruit at that time only to find out later that one of their attendees 

were coddling a fruit that could be over twenty pounds. At which time I asked if

they would save some seed for me, not that they were obligated. 

 

Fast forward two years, still no seed but there was a local grocery store having 

their grand opening and guess what they were selling? Fresh whole Jackfruit. 

Needless to say I had one in my canvas bag quicker than you can say Jackfruit.

 

This beauty got this year's Christmas lights treatment, whether is liked it or not and 

ended up being my base model for this year's Christmas Doodle.


  I think I heard this Jackfruit tree sigh when I removed said lights. Having spent it's nights

wrapped in electrified plastic coated wire pulsating electric field. Who knows maybe it 

grew an extra inch...hehe. 


Happy new year Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment