Sunday, September 13, 2015

Always in the Shadows

  I was thinning out the canopy of this white flowered Crape Myrtle
this afternoon. This tree's beginnings, from cuttings placed in the
shadow of the giant Bald Cypress tree and nearly forgotten too.
  I had several cuttings, majority of them started in a pot while
the remaining few were placed in the ground at the base of
said tree, as an experiment.
  I was very pleased with the success of the potted and
forgot about the grounded until I stumbled upon them
months later. I moved the grounded cuttings not far from where
they took root and yet still in the shadows of the Bald Cypress.
This is the smallest of all four due to it's timing and location.
  I also liked how the cuttings limbs intertwined and kept them
as they were used to being. I decided to replicate this intertwining
on the other two planted cuttings, making all three exceptionally
unique. While the parent Crape Myrtle retains it's classic multi-
trunk-ed beauty.
  The reason for thinning so the plants beneath won't be over
shadowed. What with a wet season and all, things have a way
of getting away.
  This specimen has towering Bald Cypress to the east and it's
parent Crape Myrtle to the north, which leaves just the afternoon
sun light to nourish it's growth needs. Making this one the smallest
of the three siblings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment